In a digital age choosing the right domain is like choosing the right name for your business. Actually it is even more than that, because wrong name of a brick and mortar business can repulse its potential customers and that’s about it. Wrong domain name can also make business inaccessible and direct possible customers to web presentations of rival companies.
I’m sorry, am I at the wrong address?
Do you know these old town neighborhoods where each street hosts many different stores that work in the same craft? Well, internet works on similar principles. Businesses from the same niche usually choose similar domain names. If you choose your domain name, and you discover that your rival beat you and already registered the same name with ‘.com’ abbreviation, you definitely won’t take the same name with ‘.net’, ‘.co’ or ‘.org’ extension. Why? Because most people type web addresses by automation, which means that in most cases they will type ‘.com’ by accident and end up on website of your major rival. This way you are building your rival’s brand instead of your own. But what you should do, when your favorite name is already booked?
Add a little bit of creativity!
We are not in two-thousands anymore. Now there is a long list of available domain abbreviations that range from ‘.sucks’ and ‘.brussels’ to ‘.fun’ and ‘.moscow’. This allows you to choose wide variety of domain names that might contain phrases, which are easy to remember and type. There is also .me domain abbreviation which allows you to be creative and build up domain phrases, like: rate.me, join.me, remember.me or love.me.
But you shouldn’t only be creative with choosing the right abbreviation. Most companies tend to add their name into domain, or at least its initials. You shouldn’t always stick to this rule. If you weren’t thinking about possible domain name when you were incorporating, you can always find a domain name that describes your company’s business or matches some of the search terms customers use for finding products or services your company provides.
What else should I pay attention to?
Although after all this, choosing a domain name seems much more complicated than you ever imagined, we’ve got a few more things you should pay attention to, when trying to choose a web address on which your business will reside. Domain name should be:
- Short – Short domain names are more catchy and easier to access;
- Easy to type – internet users are much more superficial than you think. They won’t spend hours trying to press right combination of buttons. That’s why entrepreneurs should choose domains that don’t contain strings of letters like ‘q’, ‘z’, ‘x’ and ‘w’;
- Easy to remember – domains that come to mind easily receive huge benefits from word-to-mouth and SERP dominance marketing;
- Fulfill expectation – visitors should know what to expect when typing your domain name into their address bar. It should explain your company’s business in the best and the shortest way possible;
- Don’t follow current domain trends – Adding ‘y’ to the end of domain to imitate ‘Shopify’ or ‘Spotify’ won’t make it cool;
- Don’t add numbers – they are hard to correlate and they can also lower your website’s Google ranking;
During your domain name hunt you probably stumbled upon ones that cost thousands or even millions of dollars. In digital age good domain names are flying off the shelf, because they are one of the most important pillars of solid brand authority. That’s why choosing a domain name can’t be done in 15 minutes, but it requires long research and plenty of disappointments, when you realize that someone already thought of your brilliant idea.